The Custom Home Building Process
So after all the years of wanting to build your own home, the time to investigate this is upon you. So what does the next few months look like if you choose to work with us?
We have created a hopefully helpful guide here for what you need to have and what you can expect.
1. Start a list. It sounds obvious but creating a wish list of items is important and people forget things. So start a list and throw everything on to it whether lighting or how many bedrooms you want. Put it all in one place and organize it later.
2. Meet with us. It is important you meet with us early so that we can hear your ideas and help with direction. We have many good connections locally and with all our experience we can certainly help you form your ideas.
3. Find your land. Land costs are seemingly always on the increase and so you will need help in this process. We can certainly help and can go look at lots you are interested in.
4. Figure out the financing. This is key and no two institutions work in the same way. We have a number of flexible options and some good contacts in this field so please ask for our help if you would like it.
5. Meet to discuss the project. Now that we have the land and finance in place, we can have the fun discussions about your needs and what you are trying to achieve.
6. If you would like to contract with us, we require a Builder Services Agreement to be in place. This covers the initial period of developing your architectural plan and budget. Some surveys and Geotechnical testing is done during this period.
7. Once we have developed your plans and budget you have to decide whether you want to work with us to build your home. If the answer is yes, then we can move forward with phase 2.
8. While we take care of your lot and preparation for the home to come it is time for you to meet with our Design Consultant. Our in house expert will guide you and help you identify styles, looks and completed finishes to bring the visions and themes of your project together.
9. Selections begin. Now that we have the design theme, it is time to choose what you specifically want in your house. We don’t limit you to three visits to a design center but encourage you to take your time and finalize selections as we go. This is a process that shouldn’t be rushed.
10. Enjoy the build. Now come and visit the construction as much as possible. You will have numerous meetings with your consultant and construction manager during the process. Keep refining those selections and ask as many questions as possible.
11. Once the home is finished we will need a punch list and time to meet all the adjustments.
12. Finally, when you are happy, we can move to close.
This is by no means an exhaustive or totally comprehensive list but it is designed to give you a good indication of what lies ahead. No two projects are the same so being specific is difficult at this stage. However, our process, like your home, is built around you. This is to remove pressure and allow some enjoyment of the process. Our team is experienced and has been through this many times before, so relax and enjoy building your dream home.